On 5th March, Jonathan and Corinna Downes, the Director and Administrator of the Centre for Fortean Zoology [CFZ] the world's largest mystery animal research organisation, fly to Texas. Together with their friends and colleagues Richie and Naomi West who very generously financed the expedition, they will spend two weeks continuing the research into the Texas blue dogs, first carried out by Jonathan Downes in November 2004..

Wednesday 3 March 2010

SO IT BEGINS

I have never liked the transition period before an expedition. I know that some people experience a frisson of excitement, but to me it is always horribly reminiscent of the last day of the school holidays before I went back to Boarding School. I didn't mind being at Boarding School too much, although the concept that they were the "happiest days of my life" is lost on me and on the whole, being at home wasn't too bad either (as long as my father and I were on speaking terms, which we usually weren't) but the day before the journey back to my crappy little almer mater was sheer, unadulterated hell.

I'm not going to say that today is as bad as all that because it most certainly isn't, but I feel uneasy, on edge and am very much looking forward to being on our way at 1:40 tomorrow afternoon.

This is an expedition that I have been wanting to make for a long time. When the first acounts of blue, hairless dogs from Texas first began to filter into the cryptozoological community back in the summer of 2004 they were widely dismissed by cryptopundits as being of mangy coyotes. I was never happy with that, basically because according to the testimony of every veterinary expert I consulted, if an animal was as riddled with mange (or any similar condition) as to be completely hairless, it would be so ill as to hardly be able to walk, let alone run around, attack chickens or sire progeny, which, by all accounts, are as hairless and blue as the adults.

There are a lot of twists and turns to this investigation, and for the first time, as we have internet access for most, if not all of our trip, we shall be keeping the blog going, as closely following events as is possible. This is the CFZ equivelant of a live broadcast, and should be very exciting...

Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment